AT A GLANCE
- Church officially recognized in DRC: 1986
- DRC Kinshasa Mission formed: 1987
- Current Church membership in DRC: 42,689
- Current number of congregations: 145
- Number of stakes: 12
- Nearest temple: Kinshasa Democratic Republic Temple announced 2011
HISTORY OF THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
1960 -1980: Natives baptised in other countries.
1984: Nkitabungi Mbuyi, a returned missionary native that had been living in Belgium returns to DRC and begins correspondence with church head quarters hoping to establish the church in his country.
1986: The Church receives Legal recognition from the government. First official church meeting held in Nkitabungi's parent's house. First official native baptisms in the country performed. Church purchases a villa and remodels it into a meeting house, and Kinshasa Branch is organized.
1987 : Kinshasa Mission organised.
1988: Kinshasa District organized.
1991: Due to civil unrest, mission headquarters moved to Brazzaville. The mission was closed in 1993, and then reopened again in 1994, and the office was returned to Kinshasa.